Friday, January 22, 2010

" Your Host Family is as confused, excited, anxious as you!"



Hey there everyone,


First of all I just want to say that, I REALLY REALLY do miss everybody although don't get me wrong, I am just loving this experience so far. Since the last time I posted on here, things have gotten 10 times more intense in terms of presentations after presentations about policies, procedures, medical/safety. And we actually started riding our bikes out around town to check out our potential Host family sites (tumbons - villages) that they call them and the farthest tumbon can even be about 15 mile bike ride. Since I am in the "novice" group of bike riders I am keeping my fingers crossed that I would not need to ride 15 miles (30 miles total) to get to my Hub - even if its once a week. You know how it used to be " Be careful when you drive" hahaah try " be careful when you ride". The traffic laws here are " written but not really that much enforced, and pedestrians do NOT have a right-of-way, nor does two-wheelers " so although we as bike riders are a level above pedestrians in the " road hirarchy" .... we still pretty screwed if not really really careful.
*** I'm seriously not trying to scare anybody - we got helmets :) AND plus after 10 miles yesterday and 15 miles today, i'm SO NOT a novice rider nemore :)

Another exciting things that we did so far, WE GOT CELL PHONES lol, well j.k. seriously though, we met the Chainat Province Governator (i meant the Governor :) It was in a serious conference room and we all had like microphones where we stood up one by one and introduced our selves in Thai " How are you, My name is Zerina, Last name Borhan. I am from City Wilmington, State Delaware, Country America" SERIOUSLY that's how its translated exactly from Thai to English. If i was the Governor I would be really really disinterested after the first 10 people saying the same thing - forget 61! Regardless, it was a cool experience for us :)

Even more exciting, with those two sentences of Thai , we move into our Host Family site tomorrow hahaha It's going to be everything and anything you are imagining right now. I do not even have the mind-capacity to imagine how all that is going to turn out ... obstacle or opportunity???? (something to ponder huh?)
Well with that, who knows when will be the next time I post, I might get lucky and get assigned to a family with internet (or not)... but once a week our 'hub' meeting/training day will be back here in the Hotel. But even then, I do not know the chance of me getting online... I'll keep all of you posted on my being/host family situation as soon as I can. But i doubt it'll be all that horrible or even near horrible. I've heard worst comes the worst " just smile" so why not...i'm good at doing that at least.
***** If u really need to know/concerned u can always call me :) 011 66 878499773******

So far as I know the next 10 weeks of training will focus on getting into the " details" of things - i.e. intense cultural, language, technical training... EVERYTHING that will prepare us -Community Based Organizational Development Volunteers (the CBODers) - for our actual service starting March. There is a qualification process and as far as I know.... CBODers gota have an intermediate level of language (compared to the Novice level of the Teacher Volunteers). So yes, we do not just get sworn in without a Test. which means if I'm back in the States in March well then, you'll know why... hahaha So far though, I do not have an ounce of regret , therefore let's hope no one gets sent home :)

I miss you al, and I hope that everyone is doing well in the cold while I ride my bike, learn some Thai , live with my Host family under the 80degree sun of Thailand :)

- Zari

1 comment:

  1. Being prepared to invest in an adjustment period is the best way to start the year off successfully.

    au pair

    ReplyDelete